Gregg Wallace reckons rhubarb crumble is one of the best puds ever - he loves the contrast between the sharp rhubarb and buttery crumble
For the filling
- 1 kg rhubarb
- 6 tbsp port
- 70g-100g sugar, to taste
For the topping
- 160 g butter
- 220 g self-raising flour
- 110 g muscovado sugar
- 100 g chopped walnuts
- hot custard
- 1. For the filling: chop the rhubarb into 2cm chunks and cook it in a saucepan with the port and 70g of sugar. Simmer the rhubarb until tender - this will take at least 30 minutes.
- 2. Taste the rhubarb and if it’s not sweet enough to your liking, add more sugar. Pour the rhubarb into a baking dish and preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- 3. For the topping: rub together the flour and the butter with your fingers in a mixing bowl until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs.
- 4. Add the sugar and nuts and mix together with your hands.
- 5. Spoon the topping over the rhubarb and bake for 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden-brown.
- 6. Serve with hot custard.