by Celia Plender
Celia Plender’s cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg spiced cupcakes with toffee frosting are irresistible
Inspired? See more cupcake recipes
- 150 g butter, room temperature
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp milk
For the frosting
- 200 g butter, at room temperature
- 50 g soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 200 g icing sugar
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.
- 2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3. Sift the flour together with the spices.
- 3. Gradually mix the eggs into the creamed butter and sugar alternating with the flour to stop the mix from curdling. Finally, stir through the milk.
- 4. Place 12 paper cupcake cases into a muffin tin and divide the mixture between them.
- 5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- 6. For the frosting: while the cupcakes are cooking place 50 grams of the butter in a pan with the brown sugar and cook over a low heat until melted. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk and stir to form a thick glossy toffee sauce. Leave to one side to cool to room temperature.
- 7. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter until smooth, then start to sift in the icing sugar, stirring regularly. Add the toffee sauce and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Add a splash more of milk if the mixture seems too thick - the frosting should be light and creamy.
- 8. Put the frosting in a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon before serving.